Saturday, April 7, 2012

Assessment in E-Learning Week 4 Reflection

This week we worked in teams to create an assessment toolbox of peer-to-peer collaboration tools, course tracking tools, reflective journal tools and test and quiz building tools.  It was an interesting experience and seemed to hit our team in a week where we all had lots going on.  I struggled with wanting to help my team and be the team leader, a role that I would normally gladly take since my Type A personality makes group work difficult for me, and focusing my energy on an interview for an Instructional Coaching position at my school.  In the end, I tried to contribute as much as possible for my team by getting my part done early and writing the introduction for the group, but directed much of my energy to preparing my presentation and questions for my interview.  In the end, I wasn't completely satisfied with my group's final product, but I got the job!  Many of my discussions in the E-Learning and Online Teaching program at Stout helped me to formulate ideas for my interview, even though it is based in the f2f classroom. 

This week's project made me think about differentiated learning in the online classroom.  I wonder if that is what is really lacking.  Without being able to see and really get to know students, it is impossible to know a lot about a students interests or learning styles.  All students complete the same assessments, with some choice involved, but group projects are mandatory and discussion boards are all written.  I wonder how online teachers approach differentiated instruction.

Link to Team Gonzo Assessment Toolbox: http://gonzogrouptoolbox.wikispaces.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment