Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reading Inventory Reaction Teacher vs. Learner-Centered Assessment

I think that this was a fairly accurate assessment of where I am in my thinking about assessment. I agreed with all of the student-centered assessment ideas, but I also agreed with two of the teacher-centered ideas.  I think I have come a long way in my thinking about assessment in the past courple of years.  I have received a lot of training on the Professional Learning Communities model in which teams of teachers use assessment to inform instruction, meaning you don't move on until "x" number of students understand and there are systems in place to continue instruction with your lower scoring students.  Emphasis is also placed on formative and summative assessments that are authentic.  Overall, I think I understand that assessment needs to be fully student-centered, but I am still struggling to completely give up tests and other standardized diagnostic measures.  Teaching at the high school level, I do feel that there are some things that need to be assessed in that way before students can move on and they can be done very quickly as checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment